So, I made a video clip. Note: strobe effects.
This is an excerpt from ‘towards programmed intellectual nothing’, a mix-set of live analog synth tracks I produced late 2016 (see: previous post)
The audio (along with everything else on the album) is cut together from improvisations on a little analog rig, recorded directly to two-track.
From memory –
* Main arp is from a Roland SH-2, sequenced on an Arturia Beatstep Pro
* …which is synced with a Roland/Boss RS-505 looper
* …playing back a looped melody line from a Moog Prodigy
* …and then halfway through I kill the loop and take over playing it by hand
* Rhythms are via a custom sample set on a Volca Sample, which got mashed on with whatever hands were free
* There’s some Elektron SidStation in there as well, keyed off the beatstep
Post-production is just a bunch of reverb and compression and a bitcrush in the middle section. Everything’s already smushed together (arp and drums on one track, melody on the other) so there isn’t really any room to get clever.
All footage from Commodore 64 games/ambient. Most of the footage is taken from Impossible Mission, with cuts from a ton of other stuff I remember playing 30 years ago.